Sunday, February 11, 2018

What's worse, too many or too little?

Went to the Pickering Butter Tart Festival on Saturday.  There must have been a dozen butter tart vendors, along with other arts and crafts vendors there.  It got to the point of being overwhelmed by butter tarts and having to try and make a decision.

I ended up buying half a dozen butter tarts, half a dozen fern tarts and a package of shortbread crack😕 The confused face was about the shortbread crack, I'll get more into that later.


Below is a photo.  


Top left: Fern Tart, Top right: Creme Brulee Butter Tart

Middle row: Plain Butter Tarts
Bottom Left: Skor Butter Tart, Bottom Right: Pecan Butter Tart


We purchased the butter tarts from Annina's Bakeshop who are from Goodwood, Ontario.  They are super good and the pastry is delicious, which to my mind is as important as the butter tart filling.

We purchased the Fern Tarts from Our Little Bakery Inc, who are located in Ajax, Ontario.  Now the Fern Tarts are sort of like Bakewell Tarts with coconut and in this case walnuts in the batter.  Here is a link to one recipe.  We are more used to Bakewell Tarts in our house, but they were very nice.


Now for the Shortbread Crack I had never heard of it, and actually thought I had misheard what the guy called it. It tasted a bit like fudge too me, and is addictive!   Here is a link to the company's Facebook page.  From what I could gather it's a shortbread version of crack that is usually made with Saltine Crackers, like this recipe.

There was a lady doing face painting and making balloon animals.  She was really good and did a beautiful job on Nora's face:
Overall it was a great morning out.  I did shovel snow from the driveway when we got home to try and work off some of the goodies!!!

6 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

What an adorable painted face!
I am doing Whole 30 right now so the tart post was difficult. I wanted to lick the computer screen. Hope everything was as delicious as it looked!

Karen said...

Love a fern tart, or a bakewell tart. Hard to find a good one here in Ontario.

Margie from Toronto said...

I didn't know until a few years ago hat butter tarts were a Canadian invention! Those look very yummy. My mom made really good butter tarts but I've never tried baking them myself - must put them on the list.

William Kendall said...

It's hard to pass up butter tarts!

angela said...

They all look yummy
I’d have to shovel snow as well!
Kids love getting their faces painted. Actually so do I lol

Bee Lady said...

Yum, Yum, and Yum! It all looks delicious! I've never heard of Shortbread Crack but I made some shortbread cookies with jam in them for Christmas and they could be addicting!

Cindy

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...